The Stranger covers the launch of the first national marijuana brand and stock promotion. It even included a former Mexican President!
Flanked by lawyers, a state lawmaker, and former Mexico president Vicente Fox, Shively said he is a “couple weeks” from an initial $10 million milestone, and within three years, he fully expects to open—some medical marijuana and some recreational marijuana—a dozen branded stores in Washington State, another dozen stores in Colorado, and as many as hundreds in California (a state where only medical marijuana is currently legal but where voters are widely expected to legalize recreational pot in 2016).
A glimpse into the the commercialized pot market was evident in a menu of marijuana strains that hung in the back of the room, designed to capture the classic Latin American esthetic of tequila or cigar marketing, promoting future products with the gusto of a fast-food signboard: The “exclusive hand-selected variants” featured familial homages like “Diego Reserva” (the firm, Diego Pellicer, is named after Shively’s great grandfather) to local nods like “Juan de Fuca,” also the name of a waterway northwest of Seattle.
Despite connotations to Big Tobbacco, he says the reputation of Big Marijuana “is not a problem for us. We are honored to have this place in history. We intend to be the number one brand in both markets”—both medical and recreational marijuana—”on a worldwide basis.”
The project will begin by re-branding the Northwest Patient Resource Center and other local medical cannabis outlets, and soon stores will open under recognizable franchises across several states.
- Ex-Mexico president praises Wash. pot businessmen (cnsnews.com)
- Company Plans National Chain of Marijuana Stores (newser.com)
- Seattle Entrepreneur Plans $100 Million National Chain of Pot Stores (slog.thestranger.com)
- The Microsoft of marijuana: one man aims for global pot dominance (theverge.com)
- Seattle man hoping to launch first national brand of marijuana (komonews.com)
- The Starbucks Of Weed: Ex-MICROSOFT EXEC TO CREATE FIRST … MARIJUANA BRAND (secretsofthefed.com)