PeaPod just posted on one of my pet causes–smoking among recovering people.
The situation is very similar in the U.S. and we are trying hard to address this within Dawn Farm for a few key reasons:
- In Michigan, 23% of the population smokes while 85% of our clients smoke.
- Addicts and alcoholics have a harder time quitting than other smokers.
- Addicts and alcoholics experience greater physical harm from smoking than other smokers.
- Quitting smoking at the initiation of recovery is associated with improved treatment outcomes. Quitting smoking is good for recovery.
- 15% of nonsmokers who enter programs that allow smoking become smokers by the time they leave treatment.