Ed is very right, though the current methamphetamine hysteria puts a white twist on the pattern. William White wrote an article on this subject and identified these themes:
- The drug is associated with a hated subgroup of the society or a foreign enemy.
- The drug is identified as solely responsible for many problems in the culture, i.e., crime, violence, and insanity.
- The survival of the culture is pictured as being dependent on the prohibition of the drug.
- The concept of “controlled” usage is destroyed and replaced by a “domino theory” of chemical progression.
- The drug is associated with the corruption of young children, particularly their sexual corruption.
- Both the user and supplier of the drug are defined as fiends, always in search of new victims; usage of the drug is considered “contagious.”
- Policy options are presented as total prohibition or total access.
- Anyone questioning any of the above assumptions is bitterly attacked and characterized as part of the problem that needs to be eliminated.