Michigan addiction professional requirements

The Michigan Office of Drug Control Policy (ODCP) recently announce new requirements for all treatment agencies receiving funding through the Regional Substance Abuse Coordinating Agencies.

All treatment specialists (Basically, any counselor.) must obtain a CAC-M, CAAC-M, CAC-R, CAAC, or CCJP credential from MCBAP. In addition, all treatment supervisors must obtain a CCS (Certified Clinical Supervisor) credential from MCBAP. These requirements apply regardless of professional licensure. (With the exception of ASAM and APA certifications specializing in addiction.)

These changes are to be effective October 1, 2008.

I plan to contact the ODCP to share my opinion on this requirement. If you have an opinion, you should too.

Here’s their email address: MDCH-ODCP@michigan.gov